View Single Post
Old 11-15-2019, 12:21 PM   #8
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I'll have more to say later, once I've been able to finish, but I can already say that this book has been a real slog. One rather understands why Anne is the least known of the Brontė sisters.

The prose is positively turgid. Overblown, convoluted, and just plain wordy. Anne appears to go on the premise "why use two words, when 20 will do". And yes, Catlady, I can well understand how an abridgment could be 20% of the length of a full narration.

I started out listening, but it was going slowly, so I tried to switch to reading the eBook. THAT didn't last. At least with the audio book, I can knit and do other things while it's happening. And the narration I chose, by Frederick Davidson and Nadia May, is excellent, especially that of Nadia May.

I've got a bit to finish, but I've got a weekend with no tasks on my list except some knitting, a major rain storm promised, and no curling on TV. This seems like the perfect book for that.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote