View Single Post
Old 11-15-2019, 08:05 AM   #5
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
However, it struck me as being a misery memoir. Helen was too saintly to be credible, and I can’t understand what she sees in Gilbert.
Bookpossum sums up my feelings about Helen & Gilbert perfectly. Apparently they fell in love over long deep soulful talks about a broad range of interesting topics. Unfortunately we weren’t witness to any of that, and it was hard to bond with either of them.

I didn’t particularly enjoy the writing. But I’m glad to have read it as a period piece. It was interesting to see the world through Anne Brontë‘s eyes. I can appreciate her motivation for writing the book (as stated in her preface to the second edition).

I found many things puzzling. Were people of her class really so preoccupied with such pious drivel, status, and rigid conventions? It left me feeling there wasn’t much room for personal happiness, or authentic relationships.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote