Thread: Literary The Party by Elizabeth Day
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2019, 04:02 PM   #14
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I'd also like to read more by Day. This was enjoyable. I felt like the plot and characters were close to derivative but she managed to make it all just different enough and made some of the characters, especially Martin, so multi-dimensional and rounded which I think helps greatly to breathe unique life into something worn before. I also thought the plot was in danger of falling off an edge of absurdity but she managed to make it all work by the end; perhaps that was her plan?

I do think the 'reveal' of what happened at the party was a bit lacklustre compared to how it'd been built up beforehand, but I had got involved enough by then in the story and characters not to care. And the ambiguous ending was a nice touch (and perhaps left the door open for a sequel at some point?).
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote