View Single Post
Old 11-07-2019, 08:00 PM   #20
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
My votes are:

2 for Light in August, William Faulkner
2 for The Indifferent Stars Above, Daniel James Brown
2 for The Shipping News, Annie Proulx
2 for Ghosts of the Tsunami, Richard Lloyd Parry
1 for Heavy Weather, P.G. Wodehouse

In the Didion thread I mentioned that I had bought the Daugherty biography of Joan Didion. I had not intended getting into it for some time but after browsing it I think it may explain some of my reservations about The Year of Magical Thinking plus it has interesting tie ins with American history. So I couldn't help myself but to start reading it straight away. Daugherty claims that Didion's mother was descended from one of the ill fated Donner party but that she and her husband, a minister, split from the party in Nevada. He has quite a bit to say about this as apparently Didion was as a young girl obsessed with the story of the party (and apparently it comes up later in her life as well but I have not got that far yet). This month's nomination The Indifferent Stars Above relates the story of the Donner party through the eyes of one of its members.

Confession: I read The Shipping News many years ago, but I now remember little of its detail; it has been on my to-reread list for some time, so a selfish nomination and votes from me.

Last edited by AnotherCat; 11-07-2019 at 10:25 PM.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote