View Single Post
Old 10-16-2019, 09:52 AM   #21
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I loved this book! it is full of a really wacky (though sometimes dark) humour. It had something of the quality of a Dr Who episode or novel. I loved the cleverness of Adams' use of Coleridge and those interesting twists at the end.

There are also some quite memorable things in it. Chapter 19 was especially good and the argument that Art and Truth exist as mathematical constructs is certainly interesting if not (for me) compelling. That chapter and the final vision of Richard reminded me of the wonderful short poem by the Estonian poet, Juhan Liiv

Music

It must be somewhere, the original harmony,
somewhere in great nature, hidden.
Is it in the furious infinite,
in distant stars' orbits,
is it in the sun's scorn,
in a tiny flower, in treegossip,
in heartmusic's mothersong
or in tears?
It must be somewhere, immortality,
somewhere the original harmony must be found:
how else could it infuse
the human soul,
that music?

Translated from the Estonian by H.L.Hix & Juri Talvet

From the Poetry foundation app

I noticed that Netflix has a Dirk Gently series but I haven't seen it. Audible has a dramatisation of the book which has mixed reviews. Is anyone familiar with either of these?

Last edited by fantasyfan; 10-16-2019 at 09:58 AM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote