View Single Post
Old 10-04-2019, 09:55 AM   #42
Twitchly
Bookish
Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Sony Pocket Reader
I don’t know if you’ve already done this one, but I’m in the middle of “The Overstory” by Richard Powers, and it seems to fit the theme well. To say that it’s about trees is woefully inadequate. It’s an extremely difficult book to describe. Goodreads attempts it thusly:

“From the roots to the crown and back to the seeds, Richard Power’s twelfth book unfolds in concentric rings of interlocking fables that range from antebellum New York to the late twentieth-century timber wars of the Pacific Northwest and beyond. There is a world alongside ours—vast, slow, interconnected, resourceful, magnificently inventive and almost invisible to us. This is the story of a handful of people who learn to see that world and are drawn up into its unfolding catastrophe.”

Warning: the book is long. And I’ll be gone much of November. (Not that I’ve contributed much so far, though I greatly enjoyed reading your comments about September’s book.) But it’s definitely an unusual book and an unusual subject, and the writing is poetic.
Twitchly is offline   Reply With Quote