View Single Post
Old 09-30-2019, 09:39 AM   #22
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Nothing reliably reflows PDFs.
Almost all the PDFs I have are really old books & magazines and thus scans. You need 10" to 13" screen.
Kobo reads epub and can be used for scanned PDFs that are usable on the size screen you buy.
Bluetooth and audiobooks are irrelevant for an eink ereader. I have a phone with a choice of audiobook players as well as regular music.
Text to speech is poor and for partially sighted. Audiobooks where available do it better. I've Text to Speech on the Kindle Keyboard, I had it on the DXG and it works via a €6 USB dongle on PW3 (Additional FW dl needed from Amazon). It's pointless unless my eyesight gets bad. Audio books are far better and don't need expensive bulky eink ereaders.

So your list is biased. Also a 7.8" ereader will work far better than 6" anyway (see earlier comment). I have used tools to remove margins from some fixed format PDFs.

PDF is a PAGE description format. Attempts to read on a device smaller than original page size at a legible size are usually doomed. You need 10" or larger tablet or electronic paper type products, not kludges on an ereader.

Needing a file manager on an ereader suggests a failure of library software. I've 1800 ebooks and don't need a file manager.

The Pocketbook, Lifebook, Boox etc do not get good overall reviews.

If you are simply reading novels, you don't need any patches or 3rd party things on a Kobo or Kindle. Calibre is recommended for ANY make of ereader to convert, fix formats, backup and organise. Or to have a cheap Kindle for Amazon and read on a Kobo. Sadly Amazon has 90% ebook market and the biggest range. Hence I have a Kindle though I read on the Kobo Aura H2O.
I have six eink ereaders today (four brands) and have had two other brands and 4 other models of Kindle (all but one of those 6 passed to other family members).
I used to write Document management software.
I have thousands of PDF manuals, service info and datasheets as well as hundreds of "out of copyright" (Public Domain) scanned magazines & books, almost all unsuitable for smaller eink. Unless you can read the original page on one screen without change, then you haven't got a PDF solution.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote