View Single Post
Old 09-16-2019, 10:05 PM   #802
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Not from my experience on this forum. "Books aren't commodities" - even THAT was a point for debate.
I and others indeed regard all or most books as commodities. You don't? That's fine. It's even fine if you want to feel that this somehow makes you superior or deserving of praise. But don't be surprised that others don't agree with you when you choose to signal your perceived virtue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Again....that was the RESPONSE post to a direct attack on folks who buy books during the new release window.

And it's TRUE...that folks paying for hard backs during the new release window are generating the lion share of all the revenue a book will generate. It's also true that each person who buys such a book is contributing more to the author than each person who buys a book during the paper back phase, checks the book out from the library, or buys it at a garage sale.

What's NOT true...is that AMONG those who buy a book during the "new release" pricing....paying the ABSOLUTE MOST (full retail) contribute more than someone who buys it on sale as the sale discount is a retailer thing, not an author thing.

But...you know...what's really bugging people is the notion that hunting for books for free or cheap cheap cheap is supporting authors less. But it is. And we all know it. And few care. And that's sad to me.

I don't see books as commodities. I don't support EVERY author I read. I get it. But I realize that there is a relationship between my buying an author's books and their ability to keep writing.

So, all of you who are thrifty should at least appreciate "the rubes" who buy newly published hard back books at "those ridiculous prices". They are subsidizing the books you enjoy. They are the patrons.
More chanting with no engagement. I previously posted:

Quote:
If you must stay in the discussion, please stop chanting long enough to engage. Your mantra is obviously true in the case of Indies. Yet you choose to ignore various features of the tradpub market which have been pointed out which make it untrue in the case of most if not all tradpub books. If these features of the market are not accurately described then please point out the inaccuracies. I'd be grateful to have my ignorance cured, if ignorance it is. Just please stop the chanting. It's giving me a headache.
I have enjoyed some of your posts in the past, but am starting to wonder if they are not now better ignored. Please stop repeating your mantra endlessly and engage. Some facts backed up with links and references would be very nice.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote