View Single Post
Old 09-09-2019, 10:55 AM   #5
elibrarian
Imperfect Perfectionist
elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
I am obviously doing something wrong.
Not necessarily, but here are some of my "secrets"

I usually start with a very precise searchphrase, and then broaden it. Then, if/when I hit something useful, I narrow it again from there - or just go through the first couple of pages.

Also, Google yield somewhat different results depending on location - e.g. I get different results from google.com and google.dk.

When it's about books and authors, searching in Google Books can get you something which the ordinary Google-search doesn't find.

And finally, I get different search-results from "pretending" I am a US-citizen (using a VPN) instead of my ordinary nationality.

It's strange, but I think it has something to do with Google's algoritms trying to predict what I'm looking for (which sometimes is a bl...y nuisance!)

Besides Google, some of the genealogy search sites like FamilySearch and MyHeritage can sometimes yield a clue or two.

For the rest, it's mostly what the Germans call "fingerspitz-gefühl"

Regards,

Kim
elibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote