View Single Post
Old 01-05-2019, 06:02 PM   #38
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
An awful lot of SF would fall into the realms of "magic and fantasy", if we were to use that definition. Any book featuring faster-than-light travel, for example. I'm not so picky, myself. I'm happy to accept as SF any technology which is consistent with the "world" of the book, rather than insisting on an explanation with is plausible by the standards of today's science.
I expect you're right. A lot of those stories were published in Fantastic magazine, weren't they? I'm not a scholar on this; when was the term "science fiction" made popular?

I would replace "plausible by the standards" with "plausible by the implications" of today's science.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote