View Single Post
Old 01-05-2019, 04:11 PM   #36
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
An awful lot of SF would fall into the realms of "magic and fantasy", if we were to use that definition. Any book featuring faster-than-light travel, for example. I'm not so picky, myself. I'm happy to accept as SF any technology which is consistent with the "world" of the book, rather than insisting on an explanation with is plausible by the standards of today's science.
What about near instant travel as in Dune? Is that fantasy because the spacing guild navigators mutated and use their mind alone or science fiction because folding space at least doesn't violate FTL travel? If computers were allowed, and they used some device to fold space, does it become pure science fiction?
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote