View Single Post
Old 01-05-2019, 11:31 AM   #32
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thasaidon View Post
Nice to see a discussion in which "SF" is being used to mean Science fiction and not "SciFi" or "Speculative Fiction", which are abominations unto the Lord and the invention of the devil.

Grump on: grumble, grumble, neofans, grumble, snobbish bloody critics, grumble, Frederick Raphael, grumble grumble : Grump Off
I rather like using the term 'speculative fiction' as a catch-all for all stories where the-way-things-are has been knowingly changed or built upon. I used to call them What-If stories but 'speculative fiction' works as well.

That said I agree that it's good to know what sort of speculation is taking place. I enjoy hybrid genres but I also like to know if the book I'm considering reading is science fiction, where the change is due to SCIENCE (however fictional); fantasy ,where the change is due to MAGIC; alternative history, where the change is often attributed to chance; or some hybrid genre.
ekbell is online now   Reply With Quote