View Single Post
Old 09-16-2018, 03:32 AM   #18
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
[...] In sharp contrast, Never Let Me Go jealously guards the underlying secret almost until the end, dropping hints throughout the book. We were left to guess at the secret from these hints. I certainly reached the conclusion that the children were clones of some sort quite early. [...]
I didn't see it quite like this. For me there was no "big reveal". What explanation was offered by Madame and Miss Emily near the end was almost the worst part of the book - we didn't need it. The world had been reveal piece by piece as the characters interacted. There were no surprises at the end, just the growing expanse of consequence. For example: of course, after they can no longer live with what's left, the remains will need to be kept fresh until it can be used, which raises the question of when they can truly be considered "complete". It's not surprising as such, it's just an unavoidable consequence being made clear and explicit by the characters as they interact. This, for me, showed Ishiguro earning his reputation.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote