View Single Post
Old 08-07-2018, 04:01 PM   #46
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbeater View Post
Well, my approach is to have all the metadata needed available in the filename, my regex puts the ISBN in the right place, regardless of any misses. I had bad luck finding dupes with calibre due to the number of records. It's better to import with clean data.
For me, metadata is incomplete without tags, cover and blurb.

Also, the "find duplicates" functionality goes way beyond a typical filesystem dedup utilities. It will identify a book as a duplicate even if it has a slightly different title (like an article 'The' at the end of the title instead of beginning) and different author name (missing middle initial, perhaps) and has different formats, such as epub and mobi. And when you merge books, it has *very* reasonable defaults for merging different metadata. I find it astonishing that it finds duplicates so fast in a huge database. It has to compare every single record to all other records.

Calibre is extremely powerful program and a set of utilities, with elaborate Regular Expressions support throughout, lots of advanced template languages for export, import, processing, converting ... . I am sure that each of us uses a different subset of features. Even my own use of Calibre is evolving and there are cool features that I am aware of but I haven't had an opportunity to use. And I keep discovering cool features even after years of heavy use.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote