View Single Post
Old 06-27-2018, 08:57 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosereader View Post
Hi! I'm trying to read some library ebooks, but it's not working...
All I get from Adobe Digital Edition is "Error! Check Activation."
The latest Kobo firmware should work with the recent versions of ADE. It is possible that ADE has been updated since whatever version of the firmware you are using was released. We need to see version numbers to have an idea.
Quote:
I can't even put the book on my computer. I had problems before with ADE (couldn't open the book on the kobo) so I downgrade to ADE 3.0, but it updated on its own.
I'm using ADE 2.01 and it doesn't automatically upgrade. I'm sure there was an option somewhere that I unchecked to prevent any upgrade checks from happening. I would expect the ADE 3.0 to have the same option.

ADE 2.01 is usually recommended as the DRM has been cracked. This allows purchased books to be stripped of DRM and read on devices/apps that don't support DRM.
Quote:
Is there any other software that is compatible with kobo for library ebooks or do I have to keep removing and installing ADE every time I want to read a new ebook?
Not really. ADE is needed to download the books and put them on the device in a way that works with the DRM. About the only other application I can think of that did this was put out by Sony for their ereaders. But, this wouldn't have worked with other devices. Some ereaders support downloaded books with Adobe DRM using the browser, but Kobo doesn't. The only way to get books with Adobe DRM onto a Kobo is via ADE.

The only other choice I can think of involves an Aura ONE. These have integration into the Kobo store and Overdrive. This allows books borrowing from the device and books borrowed from OD will also be downloaded through the store. The Aura ONE has options to connect the OD account to your Kobo account. Once this is done, the borrowing is enabled on the device. But, any books borrowed using this OD account will be downloaded to other devices logged into the Kobo account. If you can borrow an Aura ONE, you can do the setup, and then give it back. But, the owner need to sign-out of their account on the Aura ONE first and then do the setup again later.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote