View Single Post
Old 03-14-2018, 12:43 PM   #12
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I'm not sure I agree with that. It is relevant to the story that Santiago used older hand fishing techniques; if Santiago had a rod and reel he would not have had as intimate of a connection with the fish and the danger to him wouldn't have been as distinct. The balance of trying to close with the fish while protecting himself from too much injury, and his accepting and dealing with the injuries he did get, is a lot of the tension of the story. This would have been a much different story if Santiago had a modern rod and reel system.
True. But to phrase it as fishing incorrectly is missing the whole point. Plus, to me, while the struggle is the plot device, it's the love that is the story.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote