View Single Post
Old 02-16-2018, 12:28 PM   #55
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I don't know. I'll see your "stately glass" and raise you one overly stimulated ocean. This is from next month's selection, The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway. (I don't think spoiler tags are needed as nothing pertinent to the plot is revealed here):

"Just before it was dark, as they passed a great island of Sargasso weed that heaved and swung in the light sea as though the ocean were making love with something under a yellow blanket, his small line was taken by a dolphin."
Even the minimalists slip up occasionally. The sea as metaphor for sex is one of the most tired literary tropes out there; did Hemingway think he made it ok by reversing them?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote