View Single Post
Old 01-17-2018, 04:42 PM   #16
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
There is plenty of sexism, racism, etc. in the world today, you don't need to read books written 100 years ago to come across it. Add greed, violence, dishonesty, plenty of that then and now too.

I don't have any problem with reading books about the bad things that go on in the world. Books that avoid those issues while pretending to be set in the real world are the ones I'd avoid.

Greedy characters, violent characters, corrupt characters can all be interesting to read about. So can racist characters, sexist characters.

In real life it would be terrible to have to deal with a racist police officer, a sexist employer, etc. but I think fiction is great medium for exploring and reflecting on those attitudes.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote