View Single Post
Old 10-20-2017, 11:48 PM   #75
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbell View Post
And some of us don't care or might even :gasp: enjoy spoilers! IMO there is no one true way to read for pure enjoyment, there is simply knowing yourself well enough to know what and how you best enjoy reading (and realizing that other people will be different)

My enjoyment for reading books without having the expected level of knowledge may be perverse by some standards but I've greatly enjoyed reading and re-reading different series in order, out-of-order and backwards depending on my mood and availabity and I'm not going to change my reading habits based on someone's preferences. When it comes to matters of enjoyment there is no one true way!

I do agree that while series books can have independent plots (and be stand-alone in that sense) calling them standalones without qualification would only be accurate if each book was a reset with no long term series development.
I agree there is no right or wrong way to read a series - in order or out of order, whatever you like.

In the case of mystery series such as the Harry Bosch series mentioned upthread, I could see that one person might want to read the series in order, seeing the character age and evolve over time However, another person might just enjoy reading about a policeman solving a mystery and as long as the mystery in each book stands alone, such a reader might not care about the character's personal life.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote