View Single Post
Old 10-18-2017, 04:54 PM   #67
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But there could be other characters that are or are not there and if you read #22, you spoil that big time. And there could be things that happen to Harry that you spoil as well. It's not as standalone as you think. In fact, it's not standalone at all.
And some of us don't care or might even :gasp: enjoy spoilers! IMO there is no one true way to read for pure enjoyment, there is simply knowing yourself well enough to know what and how you best enjoy reading (and realizing that other people will be different)

My enjoyment for reading books without having the expected level of knowledge may be perverse by some standards but I've greatly enjoyed reading and re-reading different series in order, out-of-order and backwards depending on my mood and availabity and I'm not going to change my reading habits based on someone's preferences. When it comes to matters of enjoyment there is no one true way!

I do agree that while series books can have independent plots (and be stand-alone in that sense) calling them standalones without qualification would only be accurate if each book was a reset with no long term series development.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote