View Single Post
Old 07-24-2017, 03:33 PM   #13
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
July 2017 discussion: Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly (SPOILERS!)

I just finished the book. I borrowed it as an audiobook from my library and it didn't arrive on my device until three or four days ago. I had reserved both the ebook and audiobook editions, and the audiobook became available first. I'll have to say that I enjoyed it so much that I'll have to buy the ebook for a later reread.

Even though all of this took place in my own backyard, I was unaware of the struggles the women endured. To be sure, I was born in 1950 and was in a segregated elementary school when Alan Shepherd made his historic flight, but I well recall that event. What was hidden from me for all those years was the stories of the black female computers at NASA.

Hampton and Newport News are a part of the Tidewater region in which I live, so the places and streets were all familiar to me. I even learned a little about the history of one of the most familiar streets in Newport News. I'm quite familiar with Mercury Blvd., and don't recall it ever being Military Blvd., but I was quite young when the name was changed. I wasn't aware that it was done in honor of the Mercury program and astronauts, though it makes perfect sense.

On the critical side, I felt there were a couple of times when the author repeated other portions of the book practically verbatim, but overall I found it quite pleasant to read.

Less pleasant were the reminders of the rampant racism of the region; a racism that may have modified its outer form to become more covert but unfortunately still persists.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 07-24-2017 at 08:28 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote