View Single Post
Old 07-20-2017, 10:49 PM   #60
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Samsung Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
.... I just don't think most ebook consumers are comparison shoppers.
I don't think they are either, it is a more general comparison really.

I go by what I think is fair price to pay for an ebook, not by what they are charging for the physical variant ... unless of course I happen to notice it is around the same price, or as has often been the case for a paperback, somehow, cheaper.

Sometimes, based on number of pages, I will want to pay less or more. It is a difficult comparison to make though, as all sorts of tricks are done to make a book seem longer than it really is. But hey that happened with physical books too. Sometimes though, big blockbusters are much easier to determine. Not even file size is always a good indicator.

There are huge differences in costs between a physical book and ebook ... and I'm not just talking manufacture here. There is transport, shipping, storage all over the place. Then damages, errors, preferential display costs. Eventual dumping, burning or sales markdowns. Then of course the huge secondhand book market that the author or publisher makes no benefit from. And the list goes on. There is lending, from which other things can flow on. etc etc.

We are often being done like a dog's dinner by unscrupulous publishers.

P.S. I have an unwritten rule, where $10 USD for a new release is about my cutoff. I will sometimes pay a little more, depending on obvious size and how much I badly want it. For an older release, especially a good number of years, I expect to pay a sliding degree of less, to a point ... a fair point. I am not one of those who buy when an ebook is at its cheapest, unless that is the fair price. I buy when an ebook reaches a fair price ... that's good enough for me ... I believe in being fair. Of course, it also depends on how well I know the author or the reputation of author or book. I will try something at a below fair price cost, that I otherwise would not have bought. If I enjoy it, then I will buy others by that author and they will get something more back from me that way.

Last edited by Timboli; 07-20-2017 at 11:01 PM.
Timboli is offline   Reply With Quote