View Single Post
Old 07-11-2017, 08:25 PM   #11
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I completely agree. Even though I grew up in the midst of the Space War, and was completely a geek about it, I admit I knew almost nothing of this. Even the term 'computers' as it applies to people was unknown to me until more recent years when talking about some of the events of WWII around the Enigma machine.
I can vaguely remember reading back in my student days that almost all of the high school math teachers in Germany in the 1920s and 1930s worked at Leitz during their vacations, doing calculations for lens designs. Good zoom lens designs weren't possible until powerful digital computers became readily available, because of the vast number of calculations that were necessary for even relatively basic lens designs.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote