View Single Post
Old 07-08-2017, 07:55 AM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
There's a good story here, but for me it's getting lost in the purple prose. It's stuffed with adjectives, metaphors and similes, many of which tend to the irrelevant, the repetitive or the just plain wrong. It also leans a little too much toward the polemical; with history, an author should be more willing to let the facts speak for themselves.

Unfortunately, I think the issues for me are compounded by the narration, which is overly expressive, a bad combo with already overwritten prose.

That said, I'm fascinated by the world-building, early days at Langley. For me it's a case of knowing the generalities of the creation of the US war machine, but being entirely ignorant of the particulars related here. I think specifics make for much more evocative history than broad swaths.

Still early for me in the book; I'll have more to say later.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote