Thread: Literary One Thousand and One Nights
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2017, 01:04 PM   #34
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
I had a quick look in the Haddawy version I am reading, but couldn't find it. Which story is it in?
It's in the story before the first night. In the Lyons translation, the poem was inserted before the following sentence:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm C. Lyons
The jinni looked at her and said: ‘Mistress of the nobly born, whom I snatched away on your wedding night, I want to sleep for a while.’
Apparently it was added at a later time, since the Haddawy translation, which is based on the critical version compiled by Muhsin Mahdi, doesn't contain this poem. It'd would have to be inserted immediately before this sentence:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husain Haddawy
He [...] looked at her, saying, “Mistress of all noble women, you whom I carried away on your wedding night, I would like to sleep a little.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
He then quotes a particularly ugly example from Burton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Burton
"But in the stress and stowre I get sundry grievous wounds and sore; and since that time. I have passed on his back three days without tasting food or sleeping aught, so that my strength is down brought and the world is become to me as naught."
That is indeed a very bad translation:

Here's the Lyons translation of the same passage:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm C. Lyons
In the heat of the fight, however, I had been wounded and I have spent three nights without sleeping or enjoying food. My strength has now gone and I am no longer concerned with worldly things.
BTW, there's also a version with 101 nights. Unfortunately, there seem to be only French and German translations.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote