Thread: Dictionary FAQ
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2017, 01:31 PM   #105
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramiv View Post
Hello,

I tried to find help in the forum but quite couldn't.

I have an old kindke device. I think it is the Kindle 4th Gen (it has only WIFI, no keyboard buttons but no touch either, and I bought it with special offers).

I want to use it with Russian Ebooks and dictionaries.

The books work just fine, but I have no dictionary for Russian. I tried to copy a free dictionary to the kindle folder and under Settings->Dictionaries I only have english and cannot change the setting for Russian (or add a new language). I tried to set the english language dictionary to the russian one but without success.

I tried both book with russian language metafile and english language metafile (same book, I changed the metafile using calibre).

How can I use Russian dictionary in popup in order to read properly? I don't mind buying a dictionary for a few dollars. I just want it to work.

Excuse me if I repeated previous questions.
Have a great week,
Rami
Dictionaries have a specific Kindle format to enable lookup. There are also ebooks that are 'Russian-English dictionaries' but are not in the dictionary format, and cannot be used for lookup. They're just ebook editions of print book, and you have to navigate it just as any other ebook. Perhaps this is the issue here.

I have used a Russian-English dictionary on my Kindle Keyboard (some free one I found and can no longer find), so something should work on your 'K4' (I assume this is the one without keyboard and touchscreen). There is a Russian-English translation dictionary for sale in the US Kindle Store (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007R1W9PO/), but it is not very good: you are lucky if one word in ten is found.

I would suggest getting a new Kindle - they include decent translation dictionaries for Russian, and you can also add Russian keyboard layout for entering text. Moreover, when you are online you can select phrases and entire paragraphs and it will translate the whole thing via Bing translate. These are not always great but usually good enough to get the gist. Fire tablets have this translate feature and also TTS voices for Russian. My Fire is a couple of generations back and does not have Russian dictionaries (or option to select Russian user interface), maybe this has changed with newer devices.

Last edited by tomsem; 04-21-2017 at 01:35 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote