View Single Post
Old 04-02-2017, 01:17 PM   #22
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I enjoyed this book very much - so evocative! Here is my Goodreads review of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
After I finish this book, I would like to continue on with his autobiographical series. I found this article which compares/contrasts his books to those of Leigh Fermor which the book club read a few years ago. It also makes this statement about the differences between his first and second books.
https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...ert-macfarlane
Very interesting. I'd also thought of Fermor when reading this and actually meant to include a comparison in my GR review but forgot in the heat of writing it, heh. They both had a poetic bent of mind and it came through in their writing, and both wrote memoirs of English youth and boyhood that focus on a similar time (and both journeyed as inspiration, though Lee didn't until after this first book). The major difference being Fermor was of a higher class and Lee of a lower. I gave five stars to both and if I had to pick might prefer Fermor's more expansive view, but I think Lee probably came a longer way from where he began and made more of what he had.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote