View Single Post
Old 02-22-2017, 04:03 PM   #34
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Lost Walt Whitman Novel Discovered; Available FREE in PDF via Open Access!

I like to kid around and "cut up". But this is for real, as far as I can determine, and I've done some investigating in order to make sure that I don't have egg on my face.

A MobileRead member going by the user name doubleshuffle posted a thread, "Unknown Novel by Walt Whitman Discovered" on the "News" thread yesterday, I think that it was. I encourage you to read it. However, my intent in this post is to give you additional information, especially so that you may download and read it. As far as I am aware, this is acceptable--many people who follow this thread never check the "News" thread, I'm sure.

A "lost" novel of Walt Whitman's recently (in 2016) has been discovered. Let me quote, first, from unglue.it:
In 1852, young Walt Whitman—a down-on-his-luck housebuilder in Brooklyn—was hard at work writing two books. One would become one of the most famous volumes of poetry in American history, a free-verse revelation beloved the world over, Leaves of Grass. The other, a novel, would be published under a pseudonym and serialized in a newspaper. A short, rollicking story of orphanhood, avarice, and adventure in New York City, Life and Adventures of Jack Engle appeared to little fanfare.

Then it disappeared.

No one laid eyes on it until 2016, when literary scholar Zachary Turpin, University of Houston, followed a paper trail deep into the Library of Congress, where the sole surviving copy of
Jack Engle has lain waiting for generations. Now, after more than 160 years, the University of Iowa Press is honored to reprint this lost work, restoring a missing piece of American literature by one of the world’s greatest authors, written as he verged on immortality.

Amazing.

It appears that a couple of organizations in the State of Iowa are heavily involved in reprinting and distributing the book. First, the Walt Whitman Quarterly Review in Iowa Research Online is providing the book free, as a PDF, through Open Access. The University of Iowa Press has also published hardcover, paperback, and "ebook, perpetual ownership" (I do not know what the latter words mean) editions.

As I said, Iowa Research Online is providiing the book free as a PDF. It appears, that in addition to the text of the Whitman book, the double issue of Walt Whitman Quarterly Review which contains the book, contains a wealth of ancillary matter that you can download. If you wish to download only the free PDF book, you can do that by navigating to unglue.it and clicking on the "Read It Now."

The download webpage at unglue.it makes it clear that this book is in the public domain now.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 02-22-2017 at 10:11 PM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote