View Single Post
Old 02-08-2017, 05:31 PM   #37
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
I finished up the book this afternoon, and gave it a three-star rating.

It was interesting for me to see Nora's grief process, and her getting to live a little bit now that Maurice wasn't there to tell her no. I recall a story with my own Grandparents where my Grandmother would never wear anything red and purple because my Grandfather felt those were colors a "lady of the night" would wear. After he passed away, my Grandmother went out and bought a red and purple sweat suit that she wore to aerobics (she was in her late 80's at the time)!

I felt like Nora was a bit selfish at times with running off to her singing lessons, record club, drinking with her friend, etc., but maybe that is what she needed. I appreciate the insights shared on previous posts that this book is somewhat autobriographical of Colm Toibin's life growing up. I think that helps shed some light on Nora's actions.

What did you all think of the ending?
Spoiler:

I can understand getting rid of Maurice's old clothes, but I was a bit surprised Nora burned his letters. I would think she might want to keep some of his ties or things to pass on to his sons, and I would also think the letters might be something dear to her.

I guess by giving everything away and burning the letters, she is finally getting free of Maurice's presence in her life.

I could see her getting romantically involved again with someone especially since she bought her new dress and was putting on make-up. I didn't get the vibe she was trying to steal Fiona's boyfriend though, but it seemed important to Nora to feel pretty again.
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote