View Single Post
Old 10-20-2016, 08:39 AM   #177
hrezaei
hrezaei began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you guys for your posts.
I managed to get the screen reader running on oasis.
I googled and found the kindle tool, used windows cmd and extracted amazon's voice file, and there was a file there called "data.stgz" I managed to extract that using 7zip and I found the voice folder there!
So i just dropped the folder into kindle's root directory and when i plug my adapter now, It works!

On the topic of VoiceView itself, I've found two flaws that annoy me a lot.
The first one is that apparently VoiceView only works on continuous mode on Kindle ereaders. (Meaning that there's only one gesture that when used, It'll start reading the entire book! for you) This means that you can't read page by page, or paragraph/line, or spell a word. If you interrupt voiceView while its reading the entire book and use swipe, It'll read word by word only.
I found that very hard myself As a blind person. for me Continuous mode is alright for story books but for school books or something that requires you to read a page /paragraph two ore more times this is going to annoy you a lot, since you have to interrupt voiceview, turn page back, drag your finger around and up and find the word, and drag with two fingers so you could read that part again. It's really horrible IMO.
The second thing (which might be for the oasis only) is that if you remove the cover VoiceView will not work at all, So you're stuck using it with the cover on. If you take it off, It'll just stop working for whatever reason.

If you're visually impaired and rely on screen readers, I really recommend against buying Amazon's ereaders for now. It's better if you stick to mobile/tablet devices for reading books. Or you could buy the much cheaper kindle 8th generation and use the VoiceView feature and send feedback to amazon and hope that they care to add features and remove the current limitations.

Cheers

Last edited by hrezaei; 10-20-2016 at 08:42 AM.
hrezaei is offline   Reply With Quote