View Single Post
Old 09-15-2016, 07:27 PM   #6
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
I downloaded the Oxford edition. It has a brilliant introduction by Kathryn Sutherland and those other "Family Recollections". Sutherland puts the Memoir in its historical perspective and reminds us that one cannot expect the kind of analytical deconstruction of character that occurs in modern biography. But there is little doubt but that Austen-Leigh does try very hard to "domesticate" his aunt. And part of the problem is owing to the fact that Jane's sister, who was very close to her, destroyed all the letters in her possession which she felt might militate against Jane's image.

However, Sutherland cites an early and perceptive writer, Margaret Oliphant, who
"refuses to have any truck with Austen-Leigh's idealized portrait of a selfless spinster aunt . . ." She felt that the novelist Austen wrote "books so calm and cold and keen" that in the portrayal of human nature they were "cruel" in their "perfection".

Despite this, the Memoir does still give us some vivid glimpses of Jane Austen. She clearly inspired love in those around her and the examples cited by Bookpossum demonstrate her ironic humour so well.
I can't agree with Margaret Oliphant in using words such as cold and cruel. Austen was certainly razor sharp in her portrayals of her various characters, and their foolishness (Mrs Bennet for instance) or nastiness (Mrs Norris in Mansfield Park) is made very clear. But I see her as perceptive of human foibles and witty about them. And in Emma, she had Mr Knightley take Emma to task for her unkindness to another foolish character, Miss Bates. Here is her description of Miss Bates:

Quote:
“... she had no intellectual superiority to make atonement to herself, or frighten those who might hate her into outward respect. She had never boasted either beauty or cleverness. Her youth had passed without distinction, and her middle of life was devoted to the care of a failing mother, and the endeavour to make a small income go as far as possible. And yet she was a happy woman, and a woman whom no one named without good-will. It was her own universal good-will and contented temper which worked such wonders. She loved every body, was interested in every body's happiness, quicksighted to every body's merits; thought herself a most fortunate creature, and surrounded with blessings in such an excellent mother, and so many good neighbours and friends, and a home that wanted for nothing. The simplicity and cheerfulness of her nature, her contented and grateful spirit, were a recommendation to every body, and a mine of felicity to herself. She was a great talker upon little matters, which exactly suited Mr. Woodhouse, full of trivial communications and harmless gossip.”
Not at all cold or cruel I think.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote