View Single Post
Old 05-09-2016, 07:07 AM   #25
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Thanks for all the answers guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Then there are the sub rational reasons, which may be the real driver for most of our behavior.

Like: Hoarding instinct. It makes sense when you come across something to collect it as you don't know if it'll be there when you need it. From there, it is easy to lapse into just acquiring things.
This is basically my reason: DRM was cracked in 2009, and in 2010/2011 everything I ever wanted or could want became available in e-book format. When I bought a Kindle Touch, I started to buy as much books as fast as possible; first everything I knew I wanted (= replace paper books with e-book version + books I wanted but never had in paper), and then everything that looked interesting.

The thought behind that basically was: "It's available now, the DRM is cracked, and Kobo is giving away 50-90% discounts. I would be *MAD* not to buy anything I can get my hands on. Later, the prices may be much higher or possibly a new DRM can't be cracked."

Now that I have everything I want and everything that looked interesting, building a TBR-stack of around 800 books (I only read 30-ish books per year) my purchasing has greatly slowed down to maintaining running series and the occasional book I come across that looks interesting.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote