View Single Post
Old 04-20-2016, 06:15 PM   #49
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
I'm not saying they're right. I think Google has found a clever way to extend their search brand while staying within the bounds of fair use. But I can sympathize as to why some authors might feel this doesn't pass the sniff test.
That's the thing about the sniff test -- it's only as accurate as the person doing the sniffing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
No,
The authors should pay Google for the free advertising.
If I can search Google and find a cool quote from a book, maybe I will buy the book.
Google does have the right to demand money in exchange for the advertising.
And if the authors don't want to pay, Google can threaten to stop the advertising.

Just as Google is not obligated to pay the authors, because it is fair use, authors are not obligated to pay Google -- Google is giving them a free gift (because it is mutually beneficial and therefore worth it even if they don't get advertising revenue from the authors).

Yes, I know you meant that sarcastically.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote