View Single Post
Old 04-07-2016, 11:49 AM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnenmonat View Post
The works of late Henry James are certainly very challenging, especially the three pinnacles, I mean, the dove, the ambassadors and the bowl, all with an obvious tinge of modernism. They could be put in the same category with the works of Woolf and Joyce. I think anybody who wants to try them should not read too fast and dance in the same tempo with Henry James. Maisie is not as late as these three, but I can still predict what will confront us, a quasi late James. We should get prepared for it.
Well put ... and the rationale for my reading project -- to prepare for the 'Big 3'.

Rebecca West penned a very short, but extremely lucid, analysis/appreciation/review of Henry James (http://www.amazon.com/Henry-James-Re...N%3DB01CAQ0JQG) - in which she acknowledges the difficulty of following James' later syntactical creations -- and suggests, since these novels were dictated to a secretary, that reading passages aloud in a 'conversational manner' would help readers to follow the thread of a sentence, and help in unraveling the extremely long sentences with multiple clauses.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote