View Single Post
Old 04-07-2016, 09:00 AM   #3
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Disclaimer: I am a HUGE fan of Henry James, and have been reading his works since college.

I read this novel last year (as part of my project to read all of Henry James' fiction in chronological order). My reading experience was painful ... previously I had designated The Princess Casamassima as my most excruciating reading experience, but Maisie currently tops the list. It could have been funny - the plot is absurd, and the parental handings off of Maisie to one another are preposterous. James was quite capable of writing with what I call a "Wharton" touch -- arch comedy in high-brow settings -- but this was a moralizing nightmare ... sluggishly paced with insipid dialogue ... ouch!

[I'm currently reading, and enjoying, The Awkward Age - which also deals with how to raise young girls in 'high' society. A vast improvement in content, character, and style.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote