View Single Post
Old 03-26-2016, 03:33 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I like page numbers. Even though they're inconsistent, they track reasonably well within genres and they give me a far better sense of how long a book is than Amazon's reading time indicator, which doesn't reflect my own idiosyncrasies very well. I also prefer to do my own percentage calculation, which can differ significantly in a book heavy with notes and index. I even think I retain a book slightly better, when I can mentally relate the text to position in a book; the percentage doesn't serve that purpose for me. Finally, page numbers make it easier to switch between devices without syncing.

Lack of page numbers doesn't keep me from reading a book, but I prefer the experience with page numbers.
I agree with you 100%. Once you get used to using ADE style page numbers, they give you a good indication how long a book might be. It also gives you a good indication how far along you are and how much left you have. Locations don't do this. Percentages don't do this because 50% of one book is not the same as 50% of another book. ADE page numbers are fairly consistent which is why you get a sense of length and a sense of how much left. And the good thing is AD page numbers to not rely on text size, screen size, margins, line height, or what font is used.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote