View Single Post
Old 08-23-2015, 04:58 PM   #63
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
2015 to date: read 5 of 8, though all except The Iron King before choice as book of the month. Did not think much of The Iron King.

2014 read 5 of 12, all before selection of book of the month. Eye troubles kept me out of things for much of 2014.

2013 read 7 of 12, A Town Like Alice, The Swerve, Fanny and Stella, when selected as book of the month, others prior. Didn't much care for A Town Like Alice or Fanny and Stella.

2012 Read 7 of 12. Black Rain and Ivanhoe read before selected as book of the month. Really did not think much of Shutter Island or Cloud Atlas.

2011 Read 8 of 12. Anna Karenina, Slaughterhouse Five, The Island of Dr. Moreau, and A Christmas Carol read before selected as book of the month. All were alright to good except for silly Hal Spacejock. March of year marked my start of participation.

So my ratio considering the start date of March 2011 through August 2015 is 32 out of 54 read. Not great I'll admit, but did I mention that I don't care for genre fiction?
It's interesting we only started one month apart Hamlet! I knew we were close in start dates but not that close.

I'd only read one selection prior to it being brought up in the club, The Picture of Dorian Gray, so that'd bring my total read to 43, and I'm also currently reading The Satanic Verses so almost 44 total reads. I plan to make up A Canticle for Liebowitz by the end of the year as well. I guess that's not too shabby for reading less than 50 books a year and reading books for the lit club too.

When listing the duds I'd missed Fanny and Stella so thanks for pointing that one out. That was probably the most disappointing book I've read for the club because the premise sounded so fascinating, and it was chosen the month before Doomsday Book. Actually it seems that for me books I don't care for come in five-month clusters here. January-May 2012 brought three books I read and didn't care for (Black Rain, Shutter Island, Neverwhere). June-October 2013 brought four I didn't care for - two I read (Fanny and Stella, Doomsday Book), and two I thought either I wouldn't like (Dr. Izard) or would annoy me (The Swerve) so didn't read and reading others' posts in those discussion threads validated my initial thoughts. I've been lucky to not have any clusters like that since though so I should probably knock on wood, heh.

By year, it looks like I've been pretty consistent between 2/3 and 3/4 read:

2015 - 6 of 8 so far.
2014 - 9 of 12.
2013 - 8 of 12.
2012 - 9 of 12.
2011 - 8 of 11 (started in February).

Last edited by sun surfer; 08-23-2015 at 05:00 PM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote