View Single Post
Old 02-05-2015, 05:26 AM   #33
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
I'm actually more disappointed in the lack of discussion. You seem very concerned about all the "old" books, but the most recent new book, The Bat, got only 5 posts in the discussion thread. That's horrible. Not that most of the discussion threads last year were much better, but they usually got to double digits.

I don't think it matters how many books get nominated, it matters that no one is reading or participating in discussions about the one book that is chosen by vote. I'd be interested in knowing why this is.

Is one book every month too much to handle? I know some of the nominated books have been long and even as a voracious reader length is something I consider when I vote. Some of those older books are shorter which is another advantage in addition to their easy availability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Is there is a different crowd?

What attracts people to MobileRead? People come here to find information about their new ereader. They come here to figure out how to use calibre. They come here to download books from the Patricia Clark library. Something else?

In the last case they are clearly interested in public domain books. In the first case their new ereader has opened the door not just to bright shiny new ebooks, but also to the vast repository of free classics. One of the big advantages of ereaders over paper is the availability of quality free reading material.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
As for new people, I am thinking of all the people who post in the "What are you reading" thread or "The Martian" or "The Dresden Files" threads but don't participate in the book club. Looking through the last few pages of the "What are you reading thread" I don't see any classics mentioned, maybe I missed some, but I do see a LOT of science fiction, fantasy, YA, mysteries, and other genre books.

We have a lot of people in just the Reading Recommendations forum who are fairly active but don't participate in the book clubs. Right now it says there are 29 people viewing the Reading Recommendations forum and I know I have seen that number a lot higher at times. I know this is a very small sample of who reads MR as a whole (1103 users active right now), but it is still 4x the number of voters for the recently closed Literary Club vote and more than the current book club vote total despite being a single snapshot during the middle of a work day rather than everyone who passes through over 5 days.
I am one of those users who post everyday but have never actually discussed a chosen book of the month. I don't like Literary books, I have been unsuccessful in choosing good SF books, I don't enjoy Horror, nor classics. For now I'm busy with book groups from other sites. But I would love to participate here. I'd enjoy observing the discussion here. But the book must be right.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote