View Single Post
Old 09-24-2014, 01:08 PM   #55
Techno
Enthusiast
Techno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Techno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Techno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Techno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Techno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Techno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Techno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Techno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Techno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Techno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Techno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PC/Tablet
Most people should go with Amazon for their ecosystem. I was leaning toward the H2O because I only sideload books. But now I'm leaning back toward Amazon's release. I only care a little about SD card support and waterproofing.

So many people are posting they prefer the larger screen. Amazon must have realized many don't want a larger screen. The larger screen would be very convenient sometimes, but I don't know if it's worth having a less-portable ereader, personally. I think I would prefer the smaller screen and lighter weight (and thinner profile), but it's hard to say without test driving the larger device in different locations.

One thing that matters to me is screen durability. Voyage has a glass screen unlike any other ereader. Sounds good to me in terms of durability, but I am worried it would interfere with reading. Again, I'd have to test drive it in different environments. Amazon claims it's micro etched glass so that it's evenly lit and doesn't interfere with reading. They are promoting it as having texture like a high quality paper would. I'm sure Amazon's test users didn't complain about it, but I have some visual sensitivities, so I wonder about this.

The main negative I see for the Kobo is slight delays or hiccups. Which, once again, I'd have to experience to see how bad they are, or I may be able to find video to give me an idea. I have only read about this so far. This alone might make me go with the Voyage, especially if Kobo takes a while to connect through USB, as I read.

I have the PW2 and I feel like the lighting isn't adjustable enough. I haven't tried a Kobo before, but from reading, I get the impression that its lighting would suit me better. The Voyage supposedly has better lighting, but I don't know if it fits my particular wants. I doubt any other ereader is perfect in this respect for me, but this is one factor which makes me interested in trying a Kobo.

I like the concept of touching the bezel to advance. I think I'd like that feature.

I think I'd like Kobo's library and customizable interface more based on reviews I've read, but this is minor.

The flush (not recessed) screen on the Voyage is a small plus.

The H2O lower resolution could be noticeable because of its larger screen size. I would have to compare the two with my own eyes. This is only a small plus for the Voyage for me.

So I would like to wait until I get more answers, but if there's a good sale I might snag one, as long as returns are easy.
Techno is offline   Reply With Quote