View Single Post
Old 08-04-2014, 03:23 PM   #1
tlc
Zealot
tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: KK 3G, iPad
Managing Amazon (DRM) and non-Amazon books

I've been loading my Amazon books straight from Amazon and using calibre to manage & sideload my books from other sources. I'd like to get my Amazon books into calibre to keep track of all my ebooks together and "just in case".

I only read on Amazon devices and apps, so I don't see any need to break the DRM as long as I can track them, sideload them an edit the metadata. I guess I'm looking for the best current practices and the "gotchas" of managing DRM books in calibre.

My impressions are:
  • A good DL technique is to get all my books via Kindle for Mac/PC.
  • The filenames will be useless -- I'll need to deduce and input enough metadata to download more metadata. (Or does the filename have something I can search with?)
  • Calibre does not store metadata within the ebook file.
  • When calibre sideloads, some metadata is sent too -- still separate from the ebook file? (Or does it combine it somehow and is that a problem with DRM books?)

Should I consider a separate calibre library for Amazon sourced (DRM) books? Tags for "Amazon" or "DRM"?

What should my default format be? (I've been using mobi.)

Thanks,
tlc
tlc is offline   Reply With Quote