View Single Post
Old 07-25-2014, 05:43 AM   #57
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
...Free time for me is not worth money. As long as I like what I'm doing, I don't care how long it takes (but I just don't understand people who will drive 10km, because the price for gasoline is 0,01ct cheaper at that other station...)...
I wrote somewhere, I can understand if someone is doing it for fun.
Some years ago, I spent days on my calibre library.
Once started, I optimized metadata, tried for consistency in titles and such and so on.
A hobby or even just spending spare time is rarely about productivity or profitability. Often enough quite the contrary, that's probably where the fun is coming from...

But I don't agree (I accept the point of view of course, I just can't share it) to the "saving money" argument.
In the past, when using calibre, I've had all my books on all my units - originally coming from at least 6 file formats (.lit, .epub, .mobi, .pdf, .prc., .pdb, ...) and numerous sources (all bought legally, I'm not into illegal downloads).
I especially loved this on iRex iLiad with its great folder structure.
But I found, that I never used the converted books. I've had at least 300 books of each file format natively, I rarely needed other ones. And even if so, I simply read them on the original unit.
When spending enough time, one certainly can optimize all books. But at some stage I simply stopped bothering about inconsistencies in author's name and such things. I went straight to reading and didn't care much about the library structure and the likes.
So, if I actually re-purchase maybe 20 books per year, that's not such a big savings potential.
Of course, if I would consider my entire library, it would be a different potential.
But I don't have problems, to switch reading devices.
Book #1 I might read on Paperwhite 2, book #2 on Aura HD and book #3 on GlowLight.
When doing so, my expenses aren't hundreds of books, but 2 additional readers...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote