View Single Post
Old 10-26-2008, 11:49 AM   #56
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by orwell2k View Post
Amazon, Sony (or whichever US corporate behemouth you wish to insert here) do not have the right to set up a store-front in UK, Sweden, Australia, Timbuktu, etc. So why distinguish between paper books and eBooks in this case?
This is about distribution, the ability to control what is available, in what markets, in controlled quantities, for relatively controlled prices. Just like you, I see this as very similar to DVD regions. Why should I need to buy a different player or a multiplayer if I want to, for example, view the Japanese-language version of a particular movie?

...snippers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by orwell2k View Post
But we can go round and round dissecting the various issues - suffice to say that decisions have been made which happen to disadvantage me (and others) outside the US market.
And inside, too. Perhaps I want to buy a UK version of the one of the Harry Potter novels which is only available via the UK Amazon. I was able to do it with the paper version. I suppose the 'e' version is not available to me.

m
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote