View Single Post
Old 12-30-2013, 12:01 AM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
I get the viewer and the editor running as two distinct applications shown in Task Manager (Win 8.1).

Perhaps the differing behaviour as between that and what davidfor sees points towards it being operating system handling matter rather than a Calibre one?

EDIT after seeing BR's pretty picture: If I open multiple instances of the viewer, for example, they show as separate applications running not as parallel processes. So must be an operating system thing.

I think I remember you have Favorites plugin installed, I also tried pointing the entries in that at the startup shortcuts for the viewer and editor thinking that may be a difference but it ignored the shortcut and picked up the .exes for them.
@Another Cat My understanding is that in Win 7/8 quicklaunch doesn't exist as such, its rough equivalent is to pin a program to the task bar - I have calibre pinned but not the viewer or editor

Can't see why Favourites would have any effect - but I just tested it on vanilla calibre portable in safe mode with no network same result - when I invoke the viewer and editor via V and T they are grouped, if I install Open With PI and invoke them via it then they are not grouped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
BetterRed's picture makes it clear why...
To be pedantic my picture makes it clear what is happening, I suspect the only person who knows why it's happening is Kovid.

I saw something similar over the weekend when testing Jelby's Prince PDF PI - in that case I see what looks like a second instance of calibre itself in my task bar - and we all know you can't run multiple instances of calibre.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-30-2013 at 04:06 AM. Reason: typo
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote