View Single Post
Old 09-15-2013, 04:33 AM   #7
dingo35
dingo35 is a glorious beacon of lightdingo35 is a glorious beacon of lightdingo35 is a glorious beacon of lightdingo35 is a glorious beacon of lightdingo35 is a glorious beacon of lightdingo35 is a glorious beacon of lightdingo35 is a glorious beacon of lightdingo35 is a glorious beacon of lightdingo35 is a glorious beacon of lightdingo35 is a glorious beacon of lightdingo35 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: none
Ok, so now I know where to look it turned out not to be so difficult to jailbreak my home-button-less Kindle Paperwhite with Touchscreen:
1) first downgraded to firmware version 5.3.5 with these instructions; the file can be found here.
2) Then followed these instructions to apply the jailbreak.mobi hack, which isn't using the usb networking option.
3) Then I tried to find more info on the rescue-pack that is installed with this jailbreak, and found it:

Q: How do I use it?
A: There should be (at least) a short period of time in which even a bricked Kindle will shop up as a USB drive, when it is
booting while connected to a computer. During that time, place a file called "ENABLE_DIAGS" directly on the Kindle drive
(Note: the filename is case sensitive... and: *no file extension*, i.e., it's really "ENABLE_DIAGS", not "ENABLE_DIAGS.txt"
or anything like that. If you're using Windows, double-check your settings, or better yet, just switch to a decent Operating System).

Once the device has rebooted into diags mode, issue the following on-screen commands, in sequence, to enable SSH access: N-U-Z-X. The
device should show up as a networked device soon thereafter (if it doesn't, disconnect and reconnect the device).
You should now be able to connect to the device using the following settings:IP=192.168.15.244, USER=root, PASSWORD=mario

Once you're done with your modifications and fixes, and want to reboot the Kindle into "normal" (main) mode, issue the following commands
through SSH:

idme -d --bootmode main
reboot

...so SSH now opens up my kindle, which was the ultimate goal of my quest.
BY THE WAY learned that after placing the ENABLE_DIAGS file the Kindle should be disconnected before rebooting to enter diags mode (undocumented).

Now the only thing bothering me on my Kindle is that when I open a book and start reading it, after closing it is not showing at the top of the list. On my Paperwhite - Non Touch (firmware version 4.x.x) selecting the "show collections" option did this.

Anybody know why we did lose this small but (to me) invaluable functionality, and, is there some package to reinstall it?

Last edited by dingo35; 09-15-2013 at 04:39 AM.
dingo35 is offline   Reply With Quote