View Single Post
Old 09-01-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
Merischino
Groupie
Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Pixel 2, Kindle Fire HD 8
I'm going to preface this by saying I have read the manual section, and reread after your post, Adoby, and I'm still confused why the default behavior isn't what I get... or how to change it (back to default?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
The normal way, that is pretty much automatic, is to show authors as FN LN, but sort them as LN, FN. When you add books you will have to make sure that they are added like this. There are two author fields, authors and authors_sort. Authors is what is shown and authors_sort is what is used to sort the books. And the standard is to display FN LN, but sort as they do in libraries using LN, FN. There are two different fields for book titles as well, that work in a similar way. The idea is to not use "A", "An" or "The" in the beginning of a title to sort the books by title. There would be too many...
my "authors" and my "author_sort" both automatically populate with the LN, FN structure. I have a workflow such that when I add books I always have to manually go in to the "authors" field and manually switch it to FN LN structure. Reading this thread makes me hopeful that there's a way for me to get an automatic FN LN "authors" field and also the desired existing behavior of LN, FN for "author_sort"

Quote:
It is possible to change this to whatever other order or display you want. The only thing to avoid is to mix different styles. Pick one and use that for the all books. If you change your mind later it is easy to change all books to another style using the plugin mentioned before. And it is possible to change how calibre automatically generate authors_sort and title_sort from authors and title using a "tweak" that involves editing a configuration file.

All this is very well described in the fine manual. Since calibre is very powerful you can benefit a lot from reading the manual. For instance what I just said is in the frequently asked questions part...

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....es-and-sorting
Ok I've reread that and it only confuses the hell out of me.
I get the differences between authors and authors_sort, but when the manual talks about setting authors it then crosses into two other field types and I get lost. It talks about how to change away from FN LN but not how to get to (change back to?) FN LN

I would appreciate any help... it would really save me a bucketload of hassle to get this fixed.
Merischino is offline   Reply With Quote