View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 03:14 PM   #15
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
The book got a big meh from me. I think it was best read by an 11-year old boy, and one no later than mid-20th century at that. What was imaginative and even predictive when it was written is flat now, so what we're left with is less than Homeric lists of fish and no plot.

I ended it with the feeling, "I wuz robbed." All the time I slogged through it, I thought Verne was taking longer and longer to develop the Nemo story and was waiting for a big reveal. Oy! I've read since that Nemo's backstory was given in The Mysterious Island, but I'm not that interested that I'll put myself through another such. So between the lack of plot and the long tease, I think the book fails on a qualitative level.

Verne did have a way with words and the imagery was the best thing about the book. Most entertaining to me was not the battle with the octopus, but the discovery of the South Pole. Essentially Nemo beached the Nautilus, went for a stroll, and said "This must be the pole!" Shame Amundsen and Scott didn't know it was so easy. I was highly tickled by the notion of something somewhat larger than an atoll, that very handily just popped up right on the pole.

I'm not sorry I read it, but I'm glad I was able to read it in odd moments and that it didn't take up any serious reading time.
I actually started it, but after just a few pages it all came back to me from when I read it at about 12-13 years old and I lost interest in reading such an antiquated science fiction novel over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Are you sure you didn't read Moby Dick instead?

Spoiler:
Moby Dick is the story of a young man who went fishing with some older guys. The narrator spends a good portion of the book describing various types of whales.
Yes, a lot of time spent discussing whales. That, and as I recall, there is entire chapter devoted to the debate as to whether or not whales are mammals or fish, with Melville creating an elaborate argument for the wrong answer. Actually when Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea was nominated I thought about nominating Moby Dick in response.

Maybe next time a travel/adventure book will be selected?