View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 09:09 AM   #62
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
It's not so much just the US and Europe seeing things differently. It was banned in Canada in 1958. It has since been lifted. It was also banned in France, the United Kingdom, Argentina and New Zealand. I think all the bans have been lifted, but it is not just the US that deemed it controversial. I am of split minds on it. I haven't read it and I had put it on my to read list, but I've taken it off again.

@John F: I might read the romance selection if it was a simple bodice ripper.
Just my opinion, but shying away from books banned in the 1950s will likely eliminate a lot of literature now acknowledged as great.

People are really thinking outside of what I would consider the 'romance box'—Lolita, Shards of Honor, Stardust (literature, science fiction, fantasy)—but that is fine with me as romance is not my favorite category. Stilll I can't help but think of something that I believe Sun Surfer said quite while ago about what it seems would qualify a book as romance. Something like that as long as one character was nice to another character it could be called a romance.