View Single Post
Old 06-29-2012, 07:29 AM   #17
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
rom her post and speaking of critics slamming whole genres:

"Usually though, it’s just a matter of taste. My biggest complaint with critics is that they often don’t know how to separate their own taste from a legitimate criticism. Until they learn that, their comments are essentially useless.

No genre deserves to be dismissed out of hand, just like no publishing method deserves to be dismissed out of hand.
"
I find the whole "us versus them" attitudes brewing *among the authors themselves* very troubling. It is starting to remind me of the fanboism so prevalent among console gamers: "my genre is the only worthy one!", "japanese games are all crap!", "no, Nintendo games are kiddie crap!".

As if what somebody else chooses to do with *their* time, *their* effort, *their* life somehow diminishes them personally. Sad enough among fanbois, who are long past the "pimply-faced teenager stage" of cliche, and should know better, but to see that same kind of meaningless internecine fighting among presumed mature and educated adults...?

Hell and handbasket comes to mind...

One reason a visible reminder of sanity from time to time is so welcome.
We need more fearless curmodgeons like Signore Vitale. Salute!
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote