Old 12-24-2011, 07:35 PM   #10
Ereader Bob
Ereader Bob began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS 500, 505, ASTAK EZ Reader, REB 1150, Pandigital Novel
What people want

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear Alex and tgatkinsn:

I hear both of you and agree. The fact of the matter is that even though the Pocket PRO beats other 5 inches in lightness, speed and every feature imaginable (such as user-replaceable rechargeable battery and having an SD card slot, and 20 formats, and TTS, and SO much more... the low price on the competition's 5 inch gets all the attention.

The problem is that the factory builds for markets all over the globe... not just us. What happens is THEY design a device and put what they want on it and then say: "Here, Astak, sell it". I am trying to get them to shoot for price on the 9 inch and NOT add Touch and Wireless so readily. I hear you, I agree with you, do not know yet if they have heard me.

Latest talk is a Wi-Fi 6 inch is coming soon. Just a rumour now... but may be in the works after the PLUS is released.
Currently I have two Sony readers, one Pandigital, a few Astak readers, and EXCOPC 11.6" tablet.

Sony: as usual, good hardware and design, stupid everything else.

It does not read many formats. You have to convert files to lrf.
Battery life - good. Small screen. Very slow to generate xml file directory when a new SD card is inserted.

Pandigital: does not read many formats. You have to convert files to epub, no hardware buttons to turn pages.

EXCOPC: dumb Microsoft OS. Enough said.

Astak: can open any file format, fast, affordable.

What I am looking for:

A bigger screen. Hard to read anything on a 6" screen.
Just make a dumb reader with a large screen and you will sell plenty.

Astak does not need to pay much for R&D.
Linux kernel is there. Hardware is dirt cheap.
Ereader Bob is offline   Reply With Quote