View Single Post
Old 11-20-2011, 08:18 AM   #24
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Oh cool--I just found something else.

Not only are there apps for the Nook (and for android tablets) that let you read Kindle books, there is a (computer) program called KindleGen available for free from Amazon that lets you convert (presumably unDRMed) ePub to Kindle format. Now it would totally be even better if the Kindle could just read unDRMed (or even DRMed--oh, wait, maybe not for some folks) ePub natively but still, this is more than I knew about before.

(Probably old news to everyone else, but I have a tendency to drift away from Mobileread while working on some project and then come back and just find this stuff in clumps.)

So maybe Amazon is more of a "walled garden" than other e-book hardware systems, but if you're willing to lift the vines, it turns out there are gates in those walls.

Now if Amazon would just trim back the vines and put signs above the gates...
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote